The American National Standards Institute, Inc. approved the Fair Claims Guide for Consumer Textile Products. This standard provides the guidelines for determining liability for claims adjustment purposes for textile products. It also includes the following life expectancy chart for household textile items:
How long the items last also depends on selection. Consider the following before purchasing a household product:
- Will the material be durable?
- Will the fabric resist stains and soil?
- Are there any protective coatings of finishes available that will prolong the useful life of the textile?
- Is the fabric preshrunk?
- Is the fabric resistant to light, fading or pollution?
- Do any care instructions come with the purchase? Read all instructions or information before buying the item.
Proper care will always help prolong the beauty of the household textile. Here are some basic rules to protect and prolong the beauty of household textiles:
- Protect all furnishings from sunlight, fumes, and pets.
- Damage, like tears, should be repaired immediately.
- Vacuum and/or brush to remove dust regularly.
- Follow the manufacturer's cleaning recommendations.
- Do not allow the item to become extremely soiled, and have any stains removed immediately.
- Clean household textiles before storing.